Friday, January 4, 2008

Day of Procedure (5310 grafts FUHT)



I arrived in the clinic quite early. I received a warm welcome by the staff. They also advised me for a breakfast. I walked up to a nearby hotel and had a light breakfast. When I returned back, Ms. Sunita, patient care coordinator welcomed me and had a look at my scalp. After the paper works, I was given two tablets to take in. Later we proceeded towards the surgery theater. I wore the surgery gown and walked into the theater. Dr.Sangay and her team warmly welcomed me. Few photos and a video were taken before the surgery.I had a brief chat with the surgeon who drew on my new hairline. She also examined my donor scalp and found that it had less elasticity. Since mine was NW6, she explained that it would not cover the crown area. Yet, she would do her best to cover as much as she could. Now since it is going to be a very long procedure, I was asked to go the bathroom which was attached within the theater. When I came back, I was asked to lay down onto the bed, face up. The only pain happens now is with the local anesthetic injection.The surgeon then begins to cut around the donor area and then removes the flap for dissection. What a weird sensation! No pain, just very strange. Have to say that I went into sleep during this a bit . When I came to sense, I was stitched up and onto my back. I was told that it was tricho closure (hairs can grow on the suture line)
The surgeon then puts more anesthetic in the front of my head - a little bit uncomfortable but very short lived. Onto puncturing the holes ready for the grafts and after she'd done the front, break time for lunch. Stomach filling lunch was served. Be prepared for a long day - the next few hours are long and go slow. Dr A was with me for quite a long time during the pre-lunch session. We ended up in a long discussion on the hair transplantation topics.
So 10 hours pass and after a break I can't believe it's all over - no pain, no discomfort. 5310 grafts were done (60 grafts/sq.cm). It was a mega session. Though I did not have enough laxity, I was told that I had a very dense hair in the donor area. Lucky me !!
The surgeon explains the post op procedures and gives me my antibiotics and pain killers and also advised on using baby shampoo. She explains what to expect and then she and her colleagues say goodbye and wish me all the best. I travelled back to my hotel room and ordered for a light dinner. I took my tablets and went to a good sleep.Of course, I had used two pillows to raise the head as advised the surgeon. I guess the stresses of the day and the jetlag made me go sleep well..though there were unusual sensations on my head that I could feel in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home